To meet laser and LED radiation product safety requirements and regulations, manufacturers must navigate the standards put in place by the FDA and the IEC. These standards describe the requirements for measuring the radiation, classifying the radiation, and construction of the product to help mitigate any potential radiation hazards. The series has been designed to address common questions, such as:
- How is the FDA involved?
- Do I need to meet separate product safety requirements for the U.S. and international markets?
- When is an emission indicator required on my laser product?
- What is the blue light hazard for LED radiation?
Join UL for an Optical Radiation Webinar Series that will address a variety of laser and LED radiation safety topics. UL experts will cover the basics of laser and LED radiation product safety, as well as discuss some frequently asked questions relating to compliance.
Webinar 1 – Introduction to Laser Product Safety
October 16th 2018 at 11:00 am CST (US)
November 8th 2018 at 13:00 pm GMT (UK)
Lasers can provide useful functionality on many different product types, from lidar to tools to fiber-optic transceivers. However, lasers can also create the need for additional FDA related regulations and product safety requirements. In this introductory webinar, we will discuss:
- Basic concepts related to laser product safety
- A quick overview of US and International laser product safety requirements
- How UL can assist with the requirements.
Webinar 2 – A Detailed Look into the Laser Product Safety Requirements
November 13th 2018 at 11:00 am CST (US)
November 27th 2018 at 13:00 pm GMT (UK)
Would you like to gain a deeper understanding of the compliance requirements to meet the laser product safety Standards IEC 60825-1 and/or FDA/CDRH 21CFR? This webinar will review these requirements in detail and provide a basic understanding of what is needed to comply. In this webinar, we will discuss:
- Basics on testing and classification to determine the potential laser hazard
- Labeling required to caution the user about laser radiation
- Construction features to help mitigate laser hazards
- User information content required to help protect the operator from laser radiation
Webinar 3 – IEC 62471: Evaluating the Photobiological Safety of LED Radiation
December 11th 2018 at 11:00 am CST (US)
January 17th 2019 at 13:00 pm GMT (UK)
Today, LEDs are used in a wide variety of product types, from bar code imagers to security cameras to medical instruments. The IEC 62471 Standard is intended to address potential photobiological safety concerns from these LEDs by providing a method for categorizing the potential risk to the eyes and skin. In this webinar, we will discuss:
- Background and basic concepts including the LED radiation hazards and exposure limits
- The testing required and how it results in the classification of potential LED hazards
- Basics on the product related requirements resulting from the test results and LED hazard classification